Thursday, September 3, 2009

Riding to the Worlds.....

Two days until race day....but who's counting? I have spent two weeks as a full time athlete at the Australian Institute of Sport living, breathing and thinking mountain biking....actually I do alot of that come to think about it, but usually alot of my life involves emailing, researching, writing, and organising the boys so that AQR Holidays continues to move forward. But for the last two weeks, well 98% of the time, I put AQR on hold and devoted all my time to being the best athlete I could be. Most people think that just involves training, well that is the easy part. Believe it or not for those who don't know me the resting side is crucial to an athlete's performance improving, which is what I really struggle with. My brain has a habit of over thinking and making lists, so I have got myself into a routine at night to try and switch off. I find making time for yourself does wonders for your mental state and helps me to feel fresh and recovered each morning.
 
Since moving into Team Oz Headquarters I have felt alot calmer about the World Championships. There are 66 Aussies not just from cross country, but down hill, four cross and trials. We are all a very mixed bunch, but everyone has been so friendly and very supportive. The coaching and support staff have been amazing. I even had the luxury of a proper massage yesterday which has left the ol' Potter legs feeling rather dandy.
 
Well I'm afraid it's time to sign off because I will reveal more of my time in Australia very soon, but for now I must rest the Potter brain before it goes into overdrive and wears me down before the race even starts. All I can say is the race track is ace, and the Cotic Soda is my mountain bike weapon of choice this weekend....she is revved up and ready to roll :)
 
Cheerios for now
KPxo
 
ps - thanks to Katherine & Jo from TORQ Oz for the photo.
 
 
 

 

Posted via email

6 comments:

anthonyy said...

Sounds like fantastic back up. I just hope you can have a drama-free race and you don't get any mechanicals this time, because your results haven't being doing justice to your fine form so far this year. Does the team have good mechanic back-up as well, to check everything over and ensure that every last little component is fit to do its duty for Australia?

Shelly said...

As I know that some people think wishing good luck could be bad luck (if that makes sense!) I will just think it quietly to myself :)

sarafxds said...

Have just seen the results from the Worlds, 24th and the top Aussie woman. Go Kate! What a fantastic achievement, looking forward to reading the blog posts when you are ready. That's made my day!

Sara (Soul rider from Brisbane)

Shelly said...

Excellent news!!!! Fab result Kate :D

anthonyy said...

24th and first Australian is seriously impressive. Congratulations!

graham bird said...

Well done Kate I'm chuffed to bit's for you, bet Ian is proud as punch of his girl.